Please comment on this. We all want to know what game engine we can develop on to multiple devices over the next 10 years. We want the games to be seen everywhere. And most importantly, we love flashpunk.
So how do we get there? What is the right engine?
- HTML5 does not have the penetration in portals that flash has.
- AIR seems to covers iOS and Android and standalone for flashpunk.
- Phaser.io gives iOS Android, and HTML5.
- Haxepunk gives iOS, Android, and HTML5.
- Phaser and Haxepunk do not give Flash portal penetration.
- Unity 5 gives iOS, Android, HTML5, and Consoles (not handhelds).
- Unity 5 does not give Flash portals.
- Flashpunk does not have 3D acceleration.
- Starlingpunk has 3d acceleration but has limited flash penetration
- Starlingpunk's feature set currently limited--one guy basically needs
So currently FlashPunk's weaknesses for the future are:
1) No 3D Acceleration / switch on or off.
2) Integration onto mobile seems to have a bit of a barrier.
3) No console support.
A) So what is the solution for 3D?
- Merging with StarlingPunk.
- Buying Stage3dPunk and make it open source.
- Redoing Stage3dPunk as opensource.
- Need someone to write the 3D layer.
B) What is the solution for mobile?
- More tutorials I guess. Thoughts?
C) What is the solution for consoles?
- Unknown. Not even sure where to begin on this.
Actionscript will be around for a long time. Edit Zach has pointed out the compiler has recently been updated (just no rebranding to version 4).
Anyway, I'd love to know your thoughts.