There should be a new gamejam

(Mike Evmm) #1

I think it’d be kinda cool to have a game jam to see who can find the wackiest tumblr post and make it into a game.

(Jacob Albano) #2

I don’t think this belongs in the Feedback category…

(Mike Evmm) #3

Err, sorry ^^’ But what category should it be in then?

(Jacob Albano) #4

I don’t honestly know. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not really about Flashpunk, unless you were going to say that only Flashpunk games would be allowed.

(Mike Evmm) #5

Well obviously :stuck_out_tongue:
(Seriously though, I was going through some old posts and found one about a gamejam held a while ago to bring back the community. (I even accidentally bumped it :confused: ). I just think it would be nice to have a new one. Flashpunk or not.)
(it’s getting kind of meta now, too.)

(I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want) #6

That would be kinda nice :wink: to have our own lil’ jam.

(Nate ) #7

I would also be interested in a gamejam here! :smiley:

(Zachary Lewis) #8

Why doesn’t everyone just make some games and share them. Limit yourself if you’d like.

My experience with jams is that they generate a bunch of subpar games. YMMV.

(Mike Evmm) #9

:smiley: Anyone else interested?

(Nate ) #10

true… lol I have tendency to start many projects at once… diluting the quality of any given project

(azrafe7) #11

I think that’s just because it’s sounds like a challenge…

Can you get it done in a couple of days? If you do it, then nice of you… you don’t: no need to waste more time on that if you’re not willing to.

It’s a good recipe, and often then not one game or two will really shine and be inspiring to others (new gameplay/innovative graphics/fx/etc.).

I’d gladly take a ride if for once it’s compatible with my life (and not bound to a weekend/holiday like LD). :smile:

(Ultima2876) #12

Those games can often be polished into excellence though!

(JP Mortiboys) #13

This might sound a little crazy, but what about a pass-the-parcel gamejam? Everyone who’s in spends a day or two making a game, finished or not - and passes on sourcecode and assets to the next person in the chain (who also passes theirs on, …) who develops it a bit more - changes assets, fixes bugs, adds features - whatever. No rules. And so on and so on.

(Mike Evmm) #14

That sounds pretty awesome! But it might reach a point when code readability might be a problem…
(and @azrafe7 , that would be the kind of stuff you could take part in, no? )

(JP Mortiboys) #15

It might, but if you have to keep the code history on github or something it should be ok.

Maybe “pass-the-parcel” isn’t the best term; it’s more like “chinese whispers”… with code!

I’d love to get involved with a game jam, but my free time is limited and all over the place - a 48 window wouldn’t be enough for me; to get any serious hours on a project I’d have to have a week, I think.

(Jacob Albano) #16

Sounds like a neat idea, but I know I wouldn’t participate in something like that. My workflow is quite a bit different than anything I’ve seen and would probably overcomplicate things for everyone else.

Then again, I don’t have the time for game jams any more anyway. :’(

(Mike Evmm) #17

I have the same issue with time, so I could use a week - maybe you could have up to a week before passing it on - that way you only took as much time as you needed.
I’m not too familiar with github myself, maybe this would be a nice opportunity to learn how to use it.

(Mike Evmm) #18

@jacobalbano dealing with each other’s workflow is part of the fun! (I guess :stuck_out_tongue: )

(I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want) #19

I’m sorry for digging the old stuff out, but I just want to say that it doesn’t seem like too many people are excited for this hypothetical game jam.

I think we should just set the date and make something by that time. All of us - flashpunk admirers, I mean.

(Ultima2876) #20

FGL are doing one with a $500 prize next week: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40725.0

Not specifically FlashPunk but might sort the itch out.