Would be extremely Helpful to see example code in the FP docs

(Sharon Shalom Iluz) #1

Would be extremely Helpful to see example code in the FP docs like in AS3 live docs.

special for new flash guys and new to flashpunkers

(Jacob Albano) #2

The flashpunk docs are generated from the documentation comments in the code. I’m not intimately familiar with LiveDocs, but I imagine that would be a fairly involved process.

There’s always the Tutorials section of the forum, and if you have a request I’m sure someone would be happy to write a tutorial on some specific functionality you’re looking for help with.

(Zachary Lewis) #3

I’ve actually wanted to do this for a long time. Instead of just running an ASDoc on the current codebase, it would need to be hand-crafted. It would be quite a bit of work, but I think it would be extremely helpful.

The best example I can give is the way the docs are set up for JQuery. They’re beautiful.

(Sharon Shalom Iluz) #4

how can we achieve it I am sure the community would like to help including my self it would be educational for me as well.

maybe it would be easy if its like wikipedia where anyone can write and the admin publishes keeps and delete whats not good.

(Jacob Albano) #5

Ooh, that’s quite wonderful. I’d be down for helping out with adding snippets.

(Zachary Lewis) #6

Anyone may edit it as much as they’d like. Feel free to submit pull requests to the useflashpunk.net repo.

(billy2000) #7

I would love to see example of codes for FP. There are a lot of incredible functions that i can use but i don’t know what they do out there XD.

(Zachary Lewis) #8

I’m actively working on migrating the useflashpunk.net stuff over to a GitHub organization. I’ll let you know once I have something to show!

(Jonathan Stoler) #9

Actually, @zachwlewis, why not just host a MediaWiki like love2d does? People could put up examples, snippets, etc and it would be totally community-controlled but still separate from the main docs.

As a side note, I would rather not have examples in the documentation (or at least have an option to download/generate the docs without it). Although it would be helpful for beginners, I think the documentation should be more of a reference guide and less of a tutorial. If people want additional help, they should come here or refer to the wiki (assuming, of course, we get a wiki).

(Jacob Albano) #10

Yeah I agree with this. I would also say that code snippets should be separate from source code, which I assume is required to generate examples alongside documentation.

(Sharon Shalom Iluz) #11

Maybe also it could be on the front page as a short cut to get there and add code snippets so everyone can easily get access to it

(Zachary Lewis) #12

@JonathanStoler I don’t want the reference to be an opinion area. I want it to be written for developers by the people who developed it (or have extensive knowledge of how all the pieces fit together).

It will be first and foremost a quick reference for finding properties and functions of the library classes. Additionally, I want it to feel human. For people who aren’t familiar with the library, it would explain how the pieces fit together. Finally, I want simple examples, not snippets for people to copy and paste. (I don’t think anyone would be opposed to having an example of how to properly use any fucking tween, for example.)

The codebase will continue to be written with proper comment docs and can be built into the docs you currently see. Nothing there will change.