Various more than likely really dumb questions (AS3 questions included)

(Edward) #1

Hi FlashPunk devs!

I’m currently restarting a project of mine (metroidvania) and moving it to an engine that would be easier for someone that doesn’t code (hope I’m in the right place!). So I’ve got some garden variety questions I’d like to ask you guys and gals.

Can FlashPunk games be exported as an .exe? Or is it just for web browsers?

Would making a game in FlashPunk require background knowledge of coding in any way, and could someone with like an designer just hope in throw down some assets and start designing?

The FlashPunk getting started guide recommends looking into AS3 lessons, is AS3 a language like C# or is it more of a construct 2 event thing?

Any really helpful links, like AS3 guides (if it’s required), really helpful topics and advice, or anything just generally helpful would be much appreciated.

And lastly, anyone want to mentor a determined creative-type (like me!) and be super awesome because of it? :smiley:

Thanks, looking forward to some answers!

(TaylorAnderson) #2
  1. I don’t think so, although an AIR project is literally the same as an AS3 project except you run some .bat files and then you have an application that people can install on their computers…and I think the application itself afer installation is an .exe if your on windows, so yeah i guess it is technically possible? (i’m not an authority on this subject tho :P)

2. Yes, it would, although not a whole lot. Learn the basics of programming, and then go through the whole Flashpunk tutorial (@zachwlewis’s tutorials are also very helpful) and you’ll be good to go.

3. I’ve not used Construct, but I have used a bit of C# and on a surface level AS3 is reasonably similar.

4. It sounds like you’re already on the Flashpunk tutorial, so you’re good there. You can find Zach’s channel here, he has a TON of flashpunk tutorial videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/zachwlewis And then searching AS3 tutorial will probably bring you to a good one :stuck_out_tongue:

5. I’m just about to start my last year of university so no, sorry

(Edward) #3

Much appreciated amigo!

(Bora Kasap) #4

Flashpunk is easier then GameMaker for me. And i wasn’t know how to code in AS3 when i started FlashPunk, look, think about that, what if this is my first game with AS3+Flashpunk? http://youtu.be/PbIOHfWUzeU

Also, i think, everything in computers can be converted to an EXE file, it just requires some knowledge. I don’t believe that you can’t convert flash games EXE files.

(Jacob Albano) #5

If you’re looking for a platform for “someone who doesn’t code”, you’re in the wrong place. Flashpunk is super easy to use, but it does require you to actively write code. There’s no visual editor, no built-in level designer, nothing like Construct’s event system.

With that said, it’s an extremely well-designed framework, and AS3 is a pretty lenient language which makes it a good place to start out. My goal for this reply isn’t to tell you to stay away from Flashpunk, just to make it 100% clear that it’s not what you’re looking for if you want a drag-and-drop solution geared towards designers and non-coders.

(Edward) #6

I understand were you’re coming from amigo! I’ll defiantly look into getting started on learning a language soon, thanks your clearing up my misconceptions for me :smile:

(TaylorAnderson) #7

(But if you WANT a visual level creator, there are a TON of tutorials on how to integrate Ogmo levels into your projects)

(Zachary Lewis) #8

I still want to write a book on teaching programming by making video games.

(TaylorAnderson) #9

Also teaching math by making video games, I really want a book about that

(Edward) #10

I really want a game that will teach me how to crank dat solja boi, personally.

(Zachary Lewis) #11

@KillingPixels, I’ll make a game to teach you how to crank dat soulja boy if you make a game to teach me how to supa’man dat ho. Also, are you finding this thread helpful whatsoever?

(Edward) #12

Very! It’s helped me out quite a bit, still considering my options with my new understanding.

(Mike Evmm) #13

I couldn’t find any games, but I did find a Wiki How page.

(Mike Evmm) #14

Are you sure?

(Darrin) #15

You might want to take a look at some of the more simpler editors depending on the game type you are making.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/11/04/game-dev-tools/

I’ve played with GameMaker, Unity, Flashpunk, Flixel, RPG Maker. All will at some point require scripting or coding. Again game type will probably determine which is the best starter for you. For simple shooter, I like what they said about Construct 2.

Once you have the basics of coding down, FlashPunk will probably be the best but it does have the coding learning curve. Flashpunk will also be a good stepping stone into Starling (& Starpunk) when you need to get graphic acceleration and good mobile porting. I think it is the best of them all to get into professional game development but I’ve had many debates about Unity being equal/better.

To make a great game using any of these you will have to either learning scripting/coding or you will have to clever in using the tools in cool ways.

Darrin

(Zachary Lewis) #16