Updating the FlashPunk Console

(Zachary Lewis) #1

I’ve been working on making some updates to how the console looks, as well as some of the default features of FlashPunk.

As far as defaults go, I’ve lightened up the default background to match the “rebirth” of the community as well as changed that chunky monospaced font out for Source Code Pro (regular and bold). This way, the majority of FlashPunk games will use the same, newer font. :grin:

With the console update (still in progress), I’m not removing anything, just rearranging it to be more useful to the user. It’s going to stay more out of the way unless you need it, and the information it shows should be more helpful.

I’ve currently updated the top bar and the log. I’m not making any changes to the way entity selection works, but I will be fixing the paused buttons and the debug pane. I’m also working on a way to compress (or hide until needed) the breakdown of frame time (game, update, render, flash).

If you’re curious to see the state of affairs on my machine, take a look and ignore the brokeness. If I didn’t have to sleep, I’d probably finish it tonight.

flashpunk-testbed.swf (194.4 KB)

If you hold the mouse button, the text will go faster. This is also a demo to show what happens if you’re updating a large block of text over and over. On my laptop, this demo starts out at a solid 60fps and slowly plummets to 6fps by the end of the chapter; however, as soon as the chapter is over, it rockets back to 60fps. The update loop continues to run, it just adds an empty string and FlashPunk is smart enough to know not to re-render the text if nothing has changed. Pretty neat.

(Ultima2876) #2

Quick question. I don’t know if this is something to do with my environment; I think amazonaws doesn’t allow linking to swfs to open them within the browser - they always seem to download for me (I’m using Chrome). Any idea on that?

Also, cool beans on updating the console!

(Zachary Lewis) #3

Yeah, I get that too. It’s a pain in the ass. I’ll do some searching to see if it’s a permissions issue or something else.

(Elias) #4

Well thats a nice looking console, good work Zach.

(Zachary Lewis) #5

Aww, shut up…

stahp

(Zachary Lewis) #6

Got timeline graphs, y’all. You can toggle them by clicking the FPS.

flashpunk-testbed-v2.swf (376.1 KB)

(Ultima2876) #7

It looks so modern. Shiny…

(Zachary Lewis) #8

Usually, software websites reflect the design of the software. It’s kinda’ a let down when the website looks totally different than the software, you know? :sweat_smile:

(Zachary Lewis) #9

I updated the console once more, and I committed the whole deal.

Here’s the pull request.

Here’s the live testbed.

http://useflashpunk.net/flashpunk-testbed/

Here’s the source for the testbed (to be extended by other devs).

Here’s the discussion for the testbed.

(Nicole Brauer) #10

Hey, looks really cool! Great job! But I have a suggestion: What do you think of changing the default debugger key to something other than ~ (tilde), since on some keyboard layouts it is not possible to open the the debug menu since the key won’t work (like on my german qwertz layout). Usually I just manually change the key to something like F1 in the code, but having it work out of the box would be cool.

(Jacob Albano) #11

Don’t you mean tilde? ~

It might be different on other layouts, but that’s what it’s supposed to be. Has been ever since early debug consoles like the one in Quake.

(Nicole Brauer) #12

Yeah, sorry, meant tilde. (It’s where circumflex is on my keyboard so I confused it). And I know that it is the standard for most development consoles, but still it is very annoying for the most part and can confuse newcomers (It took me a long time to figure out how to open it when I started with Flashpunk). Maybe have an alternative key (so both ~ and whatever else open the console).

(Zachary Lewis) #13

I’d like to keep ~ in, but you’re free to submit a pull request to update it based on locale.