The Flash API, What to learn

(Willard Torres) #1

Hey guys, so i learned a lot by using FP and i want to move on by learning Nape. Anyone combined FP with Nape or should i learn a bit of pure Actionscript to achieve this? Is it bad that i cant program in Flash Develop without FP? Should i start learning to use Actionscript by itself? I would like a honest advice, thanks.

It would be nice to learn how BitmapData works, at least, since its used a lot in drawing operations. Knowing your Filters might help in achieving the visuals you’d want to achieve. Other than those I can’t really suggest any other class.

FP + Nape tutorial
(Ultima2876) #2

If you’re seeking sponsorship with your games then at least a cursory knowledge of how the display list works can help, as well as Loaders and LoaderInfo. Most sponsor branding requires that kind of thing and if you don’t know what you’re doing with that stuff (eg loading and playing an SWF, using a sponsor preloader) you can run into unforeseen issues when it comes to putting that branding in.

(Elias) #3

Well thats very interesting. I like to learn new things especial when it comes to developing games and as i said before i think it would be good to have some knowledge on Actionscript classes that can help to improve our games combined with Flashpunk. If you think something else is worth learning, related to flash of course, you can post it here. We can even start a new topic about it.

(Willard Torres) #4

I’ve recently decided to use Flash’s built in TextField class instead of an external library’s (so I can configure it a bit on my own). In doing this, I learned that it would help to learn how to use FP.stage (in adding children, etc.), and learning how FP’s World class operates alongside it.
These are just basic stuff, I know, and I’ve yet to go fully in depth.