SharedObject flush problems. How to ensure saving succeeded?

(Quang Tran) #1

Anyone here knowledgeable on SharedObjects? I have a game out on newgrounds (Phoenotopia) and I’m getting reports from some people that they are losing their saves.

I’ve tried hardening the saving process by following the advice in this post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7253444/flex-how-to-detect-if-user-has-blocked-shared-object-from-writing

However, I’m hearing that there’s been no improvement. Is there a way to really ensure that a save goes through? Or perhaps inform the user why the saving is failing?

(Zachary Lewis) #3

It sounds like this post might help.

(Zachary Lewis) #4

Wait a minute… You were the one who asked that other question. :confused:

(Bora Kasap) #5

thats why i removed my reply :smiley:

(Quang Tran) #6

Ah, well in that thread the problem was that updating the game caused the saves to disappear for everyone. The game couldn’t find the folder where saves were.

In this one, the problem is that for a few people, saving the game will fail. Then they’d find out much later when they return to the game the next day and find that they’ve lost hours of progress (but not all progress, so saving did work at some point)

Although I see now that in the link you gave me there IS a section on prompting and requesting increased space size. Something I have forgotten to do (again). I will try that now and report back the results. Sorry if this ended up being a wasted exercise!