Rhythm Doctor - Flashpunk's First Proper Rhythm Game!

(fizzd) #1

Hello guys,

So, Rhythm Doctor has been a project I started in Flashpunk in way back in the summer of 2011. The people at the old community - BlckKnght, Draknek, ChevyRay and others - answered some questions for newbie me back then, and well I owe it all to the community that this project is going as well as it is!

Some quotes about the demo version:

“The base mechanic and premise of Rhythm Doctor are gold for me. (…) Rhythm is in everything, and I’m glad the developers found it in medicine.”

John Polson, IndieGames.com

“a rad Rhythm Paradise-esque browser game.”

Jeffrey Matulef, Eurogamer

So without further ado, this is the version that is being entered for the Student IGF.

PLAY

Feedback would be really great, on things you thought didn’t go so well, suggestions, comments.

Building up a whole dynamic rhythm engine, where beats were created in the game itself, proved to be a really difficult task. I intend to detail the whole process after the game is released and possibly release a library for flashpunk: RhythmPunk!

(Bora Kasap) #2

Oh, thats amazing, great work!

(Ultima2876) #3

This is great :slight_smile: As you know I really like this game, I think it’s a fantastic example of what can be done with FlashPunk.

We’d still love to handle publishing on mobile if you’re still interested.

(Abel Toy) #4

This is really awesome. I love the effects on the songs, and the rythm is spot on. Awesome game, dude!

Also, RythmPunk sounds interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

(fizzd) #5

Thanks guys! And AbelToy you have been such a great help to me in both old and new Flashpunk communities, whether indirectly through other peoples questions, or directly. I love you! May good things come your way. :smile:

Ultima / Dave, I am so so sorry for losing track of Stage3DPunk :frowning: - I did try the beta you sent, but it didn’t seem to run on Rhythm Doctor. I did the same for a much earlier version of Rhythm Doctor, and it worked then! I’m guessing the problem is my excessive reliance on BitmapData for all my effects. (Basically every single one of my sprites renders to a ‘VFX’ class, which then does cool things on the canvas.)

There’s nothing you can do about that, though, short of redoing all the effects in alternate ways, is there?

(TaylorAnderson) #6

I kind of love this game. I only played it for a bit, but when you introduced the duet I was blown away

(Ultima2876) #7

Ah, not so much. That’s a shame - another potential problem is audio lag on android devices with AIR. Since the game is so reliant on audio timing you might’ve had issues there!

(TaylorAnderson) #8

DUDE! I just saw this on the IGF! I did not realize this was a nominee! That’s so amazing!!

(Jonathan Stoler) #9

…I may or may not have replayed the boss stage over and over because it was so cool. <3