Red Thief - play this game created with Flashpunk

(Alex K) #1

Hello. I’ve been working with Flashpunk for the last year or so, and I’ve created a fairly complex game with this awesome technology. The game is called Red Thief. It’s a turn-based stealth game. You can check out the beta version on my site:

http://www.dreamspike.com/red/RedThiefOct30.swf

I would appreciate any feedback and would love to know of any bugs you may find. Also, if you get stuck on any level due to difficulty, please let me know!

Thank you,

Alex 

(Jacob Albano) #2

I like it! Nice and simple with a lot of polish. I’m on the first mission of the second operation right now.

One question: Do the guards’ shapes signify anything in terms of behavior, or is it just an artistic choice?

(Alex K) #3

Yes, they do signify something. You will find out what soon!

(Bora Kasap) #4

It looks like you’ve worked much. Coding, atmosphere and graphical performance makes me feel good. But it is a waste of characters have no character animations. It is not so hard, i think you can find someone to draw characters, an digital artist could do this very easy, maybe in a half daytime, you don’t need so good characters or animations… Only a few usable animates characters, also you don’t need diagonal sprites. That makes it easier. I think you shouldn’t publish even your Beta test without this “little addition”.

It is really good, you really worked hard, so don’t waste your hardworking, just add a few characters… Love it…

(Jacob Albano) #5

I disagree. I think the abstract nature of the game suits it very well, and I imagine if the sprites were animated it would look awkward for them to move on a fixed step instead of every frame. You’d either have the guards walking in place and looking very silly, or only animating when they move, which is only for what feels like less than a second.

If they were animated, you then also have the issue of communicating intent to the player. If a guard’s sprite is facing away from me, why can he still see me when I move in line with him? When he reverses direction, should he turn at the end of his last movement, or at the beginning of his next one? Should he turn smoothly or just snap to his new heading?

I really don’t think the mechanics would work well with animations at all – at least not standard four-way walking sprites.

(Bora Kasap) #6

You may right, maybe it is only about my vision… :confused:

(fedyfausto) #7

the idea is really good (ANDI LOVE THE MUSIC) do you wanna export and redesign the original idea for mobile with us? :smile: www.blackswangames.it

(Per_K) #8

Very nice and quite addictive.

(Abel Toy) #9

Love it! Why isn’t there a movements counter, though? Would be good for high scores. (maybe there’s one later in the game?)

(TaylorAnderson) #10

What would be very helpful–and a very cool feature–is if the guard’s sightlines were highlighted on the map.

(Alex K) #11

Thank you for all of the input. I’m definitely keeping track and recording all the ideas people are providing. One other thing I am interested in: are there any levels that you found to be TOO TOUGH? Any levels that you just have found yourself playing over and over without being successful? Difficulty is tough to judge when I am the one designing all the puzzles…so please let me know if you run into any impossible levels.

Thanks!

Alex