Learning more about AS3 and FP

(billy2000) #1

Hello :smiley:. The reason I make this thread is that i want to know more, to learn more , and i want to ask you guys if you can give me any good book/tutorial/tips not just about FP but about AS3 also. How did u learned AS3 and FP? what did u used? When I 1st saw FP, and actually started to use it I knew absolutely 0 about AS3 ,just a bit of C++,what I have learned from 1-2 years of high school.Now ,when i look back ,and then i look at how skillful programmers are u guys , I feel so dumb and little. I wish that some day I will be as skilled as u guys are at programming and developing games. That been said ,sry if I put this in wrong section ,or maybe it doesn’t have its place here, but pls help me know more. TY :smiley:

(Jonathan Stoler) #2

I know this isn’t exactly the answer you’re looking for, but before trying ActionScript or FlashPunk, I already knew a lot of JavaScript. ActionScript’s syntax is very heavily JavaScript-inspired, so that was a pretty easy transition.

I also had a lot of experience in a variety of other languages. After a certain point, it becomes pretty easy to pick up new languages and design patterns.

I would hardly consider myself a FlashPunk expert, having only finished one game with it, but I think a lot of the reason I’m able to help people is that I have enough experience with programming in general to help others to solve problems that I personally haven’t tackled before. Referring to the documentation makes a big difference.

One thing that I think helped when I first started learning about games and when I wasn’t nearly as good with programming as I am now is that I followed a bunch of [mostly indie game] developers on Twitter. They tend to post pretty relevant/interesting links a lot. I would use a link-saving service (like Pocket or Pinboard) to save these links and read them whenever I had an idle moment (waiting in line, just before bed, etc.) It’s hard to measure how much they helped, but I’m pretty sure they made a difference.

tl;dr version: Experience/time makes a huge difference. The best way to learn is to dig in and make stuff. Even if you stumble or fail completely, I guarantee you’ll learn something. Over time, these little “lessons” add up and you stop making the same mistakes and start thinking about things more effectively.

(billy2000) #3

Oh ty :smile:, the pocket program seems very useful and i will try it :smiley:

(Zachary Lewis) #4

You can also start learning programming fundamentals in JavaScript (which, as @JonathanStoler said, is very similar to ActionScript 3) online with the JavaScript track on CodeAcademy.

(billy2000) #5

tank you very much ,ill start right on :slight_smile: