Introducing ORBIS, a musical, minimalist top down shooter!

(TaylorAnderson) #1

Hey guys! A few days ago I released a new game called Orbis. It’s a top down shooter with an RPG sprinkling:every time you kill an enemy, you gain some experience and when your bar turns green, you can place down a turret or a shield powerup you can use to give yourself a brief period of invincibility. If any of this sounds interesting, the link is here: http://fourthfloorgames.itch.io/orbis

It’s pay what you want with a minimum price of free.

(TaylorAnderson) #2

I also added a bunch of updates today, so now its five levels and five different types of enemies, so it is a fairly sized game at the moment!

(fizzd) #3

Nice one! 347 after three tries and realising how turrets worked :slight_smile: Maybe I’m just not keeping up with the times but the required desktop resolution seemed to be a little big for my screen; had to go full screen in order to just have the whole playing area in sight. Hmm after three turrets and bullets flying everywhere it was kind of hard to keep track of which thingies were enemies and which ones were bullets. I mean it was obvious by the shape of course but the sheer volume of things was a little overwhelming, haha.

(TaylorAnderson) #4

the resolution is 1152 by 648, i had to make it big just cuz i wanted all the spheres and triangles to be as smoooth as possible. in the later game it does get pretty frantic, but usually your turrets take care of it–your main goal later on is to 1. survive and 2. maintain your turrets, if you can do that effectively you can get pretty far in the game (of course, its still pretty difficult – my high score is only in the 500s)

(rostok) #5

very nice one! I encountered some serious slowdowns, don’t know if it is my laptop (i7) but it did affect gameplay.

(TaylorAnderson) #6

Really eh? It doesn’t happen for everybody, but there’s definitely slowdown still in the game. I’m really confused how to fix it though, I’ve tried several things but nothin seems to be working. I’ll take another look at the code.

EDIT–I’ve now fixed what appears to be at least one contributing factor of the slowdowns, so let me know if you’re still getting it.