Half made 'Save the picnic' game

(Calem Young) #1

Hello guys, I’ve have just uploaded a half finished game that I’ve made using FlashDevelop with flashpunk that I’ve named ‘Save the Picnic’. Its a very simple game were you basically click on the bugs to kill them, trying not to let every plate of food disappear, you can restock your plates during the level and at the end of the level you can purchase updates. I’ve made almost everything you see in the game myself, including almost all the art. I’m just look to get some tips to improve the ‘funness’ of the game and to see what you guys think of it. To me it has always seemed that the simpler the game, the funner people seem to find it. I’ve uploaded it to a file hosting website and you can use the link Game Here (press the ‘play flash full screen’ button and wait for the game to load.)

Thanks, Calem Young

(christopf) #2

Besides i don’t find it funny to smash bugs i found it quite monotone after a while. I liked that some ants where faster but changes could come earlier. Also i didn’t play to level 2, i was wondering what i have to do else as filling all plates. Probably you have to stand one complete wave. I think it would be more interesting starting with short waves and then going step by step up with the duration. So i lost pretty fast focus (beside i don’t like the theme)

But anyway this is pretty good for your first game! Gratz!

(Darrin) #3

Good job on your first attempts! I thought the hit box of the mouse cursor should be bigger. Obviously lots of fun things to do…weapon power ups…ant spray, magnifying glass, boot, newspaper etc. have fun with it. Thank you for sharing.

(Calem Young) #4

Thanks for the feedback so far! You guys have definitely given me some things to consider, particularly the wave lengths. At the moment new bug types are added every third round I believe, and difficulty goes up by increasing speed and the number of bugs. In actual fact the first round is the longest as at the moment there are a set number of bugs each round that have to fit within the set round time, so as the round times decrease the more bugs will appear each wave and the harder the waves become.

I have built an upgrade shop with many different upgrades that you can see once you pass the first round, has anyone got any comments on this? Or hasn’t anyone got past the first round?