FP User City Locations

(no-jo) #1

Would it be possible to integrate a ‘User Location’ facility to the site so that users can search for a list of other users from the same city/area for example.

I’ve often wondered if there were other Flashpunkers in my town.

I think it would be good for collaboration work, networking and the FP community in general.

There could always be a “visible to other users” option for anonymity and would only be a general area or city such as “Sheffield,UK”.

Does anyone think this would be a useful feature?

Useflashpunk.net gets a fresh coat of paint!
(Ultima2876) #2

I’ve seen this on many forums and can be useful also for timezone awareness. Upvote!

(Jacob Albano) #3

I’m not in favor of this idea. If it is implemented it needs to be optional and off by default. I’m not comfortable with websites following me around.

That is, assuming you meant something like geolocation. If it’s a simple field to set in our user panel, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

(Zachary Lewis) #4

I don’t think this should be a forum feature, but we could set up a shared google map where users may add their locations.

(no-jo) #5

@jacobalbano yeah i was just thinking a field input or two where you can set a city/area and country, set to off by default.

A shared google map would be a good alternative i suppose. Why you don’t think this should be a forum feature @zachwlewis ?

(Zachary Lewis) #6

The forum is a discussion platform and isn’t built for features like user location maps; however, Google Maps is built for features like user location maps.

I went ahead and made it way easier for all of you.

http://useflashpunk.net/map/

The things I do for you folks… :heart:

(no-jo) #7

That’s the sort of thing i was thinking of!

Thank you. That was quick!

(Zachary Lewis) #8

It’s easy to mash data together when using the right tools! I think it’s kinda’ neat, too. I’m not sure who’s in San Jose, but they’re blowing up the forums.

(no-jo) #9

Ha, I wonder who that is?

(Zachary Lewis) #10

I know exactly who it is. I met him a few years ago in San Francisco at GDC. :grin:

(azrafe7) #11

Never met but I’m pretty sure I know the guy too!

(Zachary Lewis) #12

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.