FlashPunk Console shows no text

(Mohamed Atef) #1

I have recently started using AS3 and FlashPunk to develop games because I want to target flash development . However after I got used it and done well with it I encountered a problem with the console .

Basically it doesn’t show any text , at first I thought that this may be a problem with my project so I downloaded an example called Pink ( I think , I don’t remember from where or who ) but the same problem happened with it and each other example , Am I doing something wrong ? All tutorials I have seen only refers to add the FP.console.enable() line and it should work , here is an image showing the problem ( In pink example ) :

(Martí Angelats i Ribera) #2

It seems like the project and the game have different sizes. Be sure that the size of the project is the same as the two first values in the contructor called in the Main

public class Main extends Engine
{
//[...]
    public function Main()
    {
        super(/*values here*/); //The two first are the sizes.
    }
//[...]
}

(Jacob Albano) #3

Are you using trace() or FP.log()? The first will not cause text to be added to the console.

(Mohamed Atef) #4

How to set the project size ? and yes I tried using FP.log .

(Jacob Albano) #5

You can set the size of the output SWF with a metatag:

[SWF(width = "800", height = "600")]
public class Game extends Engine
{
    // ...
}

(Mohamed Atef) #6

I tried but it didn’t change anything .

(Jacob Albano) #7

Oh I apologize; I missed the image and didn’t understand your problem correctly. It looks like no text is being rendered whatsoever, which is something I’ve never seen before. Did you include the font that comes with Flashpunk? Are you running this in Flash Professional or anything strange like that?

(Mohamed Atef) #8

Sorry for delay , Iam using FlashDevelop and what do you mean by " Did you include the font that comes with Flashpunk? " is there is any kind of setup or something I need to do for this ? I followed the http://useflashpunk.net/getting-started/setting-up-flashdevelop.html tutorial on how to setup flashpunk and it just said to copy the net folder to the project .

(Jacob Albano) #9

It was an unlikely solution, just thought I’d mention it. The font should be included but if you deleted it or something I could see it causing problems.

What happens if you create a new Text graphic and add it to the world? It seems like text rendering is definitely broken somehow.

(Mohamed Atef) #10

Text is working fine , renders very well .

(Martí Angelats i Ribera) #11

Sooo wierd. Try updating the FlashPunk.

(Mohamed Atef) #12

I have 1.7.2 , the site says that it is the latest , is it ?

(Mohamed Atef) #13

I re-extracted it and it worked , thanks guys for help and sorry for wasting your time . It was probably something during extraction , but what makes me very confused is that other downloaded examples included the net folder ( I didn’t touch it ) and it had that problem , I guess they had an outdated version maybe . Thanks again and sorry for wasting your time .

(Jacob Albano) #14

Not to worry! These things happen.