EatManyHats - First game project made in FP

(Brendanmint) #1

Hi there! I haven’t really shown this off to anyone outside of some friends, and thought I’d show you guys since following tutorials and reading help topics here really got me through making this at times.

The back story for this project is about a year ago I discovered FlashPunk, and programming, and started making a small little game as a test for what I could do with it, at first you moved the character around, touched entities, and they were deleted. I was incredibly excited at what I had made, and since then have been building onto it, following tutorials, and doing new things from scratch when I felt brave.

So without anymore boring text, here it is, hosted on my dropbox so I’m able to update it quickly without too much hassle: EMH.

For anyone interested, here is the oldest version of it I have, all the way back from early January last year.

I’d also like to say none of this would be possible without a lot of the tutorials I found here, the first level and initial collision and movement system were written while I watched a tutorial from these forums.

I really hope anyone who looks at it likes it, I know it isn’t much in way of complexity or action, but I’m really proud of what I achieved for my first game, and the whole experience has helped me decide I want to move into game development for my future career after high school.

I hope I didn’t write too much text here either, I get really nervous when I show off my work and I think it really shows when I do.

(Tareq) #2

Bro, this is definetely landmark worthy, you’ve completed an actual game! Something that I (can’t really speak for everyone, although I’m sure I’m not alone) can’t really achieve D: It is indeed a simple game, but it’s something to use as a benchmark so that you can compare your next game to it and see what’s improved.

(Ssnyder Coder) #3

I agree with Chokey, this is very good for your first completed game. For a game with relatively simple graphics and gameplay, It is nicely polished and has numerous features for a first game. Looks like the achievements and Onslaught mode add a fair bit of replayability as well. The credits screen is also pleasantly animated instead of a bland static wall of text.

Are you going to make the source code for this game publicly available as well? I wouldn’t mind taking a look at it, but there’s no obligation if you don’t want to.

(Brendanmint) #4

Thanks to both of you guys for the kind words! I’m glad people liked it.

I might, I’m not sure I’ll be messing with it much since I’m trying to make a platformer/adventure game next, but the code is a clusterfrack, I’m not sure how easy it would be for someone to pick through it in it’s state. It’s only with the project I just started that I’ve begun to organize my classes and assets into folders.

(christopf) #5

i agree with the other both. congratulation!

(1 bug i encountered: after the level of lava i spawned in the wall and wasnt able to move. maybe a refresh button (or is there already one?))

(Brendanmint) #6

Thank you! And I’m not sure how or where you found that, but at any time you can press Escape to go back to the main menu, and then use the level select menu to go back to where you were.

(Ultima2876) #7

Cool! You could add a timer to the game so that if you complete the level faster you get more score :wink:

(Brendanmint) #8

That was definitely something I was going to when I added the achievements and stuff, but I never got around to fully putting it in, I might take a look and see about putting it in. Right now I’m devoting most of my free time not in school to creating a story and coding for another game I am trying to create.