Dropping tweens

(Abel Toy) #1

Should we drop Tweens entirely?

There are much better libraries that can handle them more efficiently, faster and just… better

(Ssnyder Coder) #2

How would flashpunk benefit from dropping Tweens? Dropping tweens would probably annoy anyone who had been using Flashpunk tweens and tried to update to a newer version of Flashpunk that did not have tweens. All the tutorials for Flashpunk tweens would also become irrelevant as well. What is stopping a person from using flashpunk and a tween library together?

(Ultima2876) #3

It’d break backwards compatibility requiring a major version number change (FlashPunk 2.x.x) and some people do like them. They may be a little clunky but they’re a useful addition imo and are exempt from the licensing stuff in TweenLite (granted, that mainly effects mobile sales and microtransactions, but hey).

(Jacob Albano) #4

While I agree that there are some good alternatives out there (I’ve been really liking Actuate in one of my Haxe projects), I really like Flashpunk’s tween library. I like that I can set entity.active = false and its tweens and alarms won’t update, and that I you have varying levels at which you can store your tweens (entity, world, FP.tweener).

I’ve personally found myself missing the Flashpunk setup when I don’t have access to it. I think it makes sense to leave them in, since their inclusion doesn’t prevent the use of other libraries.

(Ultima2876) #5

You’ve just put what I wanted to say way more eloquently than I ever could have. Totally agree.

(Jonathan Stoler) #6

I’d also like to express my support for FlashPunk’s tween system. It’s really straightforward once you realize how it works and why bother including another library if you don’t have to?

Sure, there are a few things I wish FlashPunk tweens did that other libs probably support, but I would really hate it if tweens were removed (and I would probably just hack them back in).

Basically, tweens are a stable part of the codebase that could probably remain unchanged even in the face of updates, and since they’re such an important part of polishing games, I think that if you removed them, people might be too lazy or perhaps ignorant to add an external tweening library and the quality of games would go down. This doesn’t even touch on how convenient it is that they’re built-in.

Plus, as others have stated, keeping tweens does not prevent anyone from using their own tweening lib anyway.

(Abel Toy) #7

Okay then… * * * *