Dash Docset for FlashPunk

(Jonathan Stoler) #1

I don’t know how many Mac users there are on these forums, and I don’t know how many use Dash, but I’m a Mac user who uses Dash and FlashPunk. So I made a Dash docset for FlashPunk. And I might as well share it.

Theoretically you should be able to just click this and it will automatically install. If not, go here and click “FlashPunk,” and it should work.

I believe it will auto-update within Dash if I make changes, and I’ll try to keep the docs up to date with the latest version(s) of FlashPunk.

(and if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. I just didn’t want to take up space on the “creations” section where someone could instead show off their games.)

(Zachary Lewis) #2

This looks really neat, but I can’t seem to download your docset. I see the FlashPunk docset in my list, but I keep getting the following error when trying to download it:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)

The feed URL is http://tasteofmoonlight.com/software/freebies/dash/FlashPunk.xml.

Any suggestions?

(Jonathan Stoler) #3

This happened to me too at first! It was really annoying.

Anyway, I think it’s a DNS issue and I don’t really know what to do about it on my end. But the way I solved it was by following these instructions.

Basically:

1. Go to System Preferences > Network.
  2. Click the “Advanced…” button for your current network configuration.
  3. Select the DNS tab.
  4. Add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 at the top of your DNS list.
  5. Click “OK.” Click “Apply.” Try again.

(Edit: you can delete these DNS addresses - they’re Google’s - when you’re done. Not sure whether this will affect updating the docset or not.)

Hopefully this fixes it. If anyone smarter than me knows what I can do from my server to ensure nobody else has the same problem, please let me know!

(Ultima2876) #4

Tbh, using google’s DNS is generally a nice idea anyway. It saves you from having odd issues thanks to weird ISP things beyond your control. I’m not entirely sure why every ISP needs to maintain their own DNS listings in the first place; it just seems to lead to fragmentation and confusion.