Cut-Scenes in Fashpunk

(Mike Evmm) #1

Hello,
So, I’ve been googling this for a while now, and, while I can find some SVNs and code repos with references to (custom, I suppose) cut-scene classes, I can’t seem to find an answer that doesn’t imply making a SWF/MP4 and embedding it.
This wouldn’t be particularly handy because 1) I would have to use Flash and 2) like @singingsigh said regarding “On Dungeons” it is rather handy to be able to easily change dialogue/text/things in general.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

(Jacob Albano) #2

I experimented with this a while ago, for my game Humphrey’s Tiny Adventure.

Here’s the blog post about it:

And here are the scripts for the final cutscene: Director, Humphrey, and Spinky

It’s been a while since I wrote that post and I’ve made some improvements to the language. If this looks like something you might be interested in using, I’ll spiff it up and make it more general-purpose.

(Mike Evmm) #3

That looks very interesting, thank you!
What is Slang?

(Jacob Albano) #4

Slang is a scripting language I created for use in my Flash games. In a C++ engine, you’d use something like Lua or Angelscript, and in Javascript you can use eval() to parse strings into code at runtime, but there’s nothing similar to use in Flash.

You can read a little about it here.

Using Slang to write gameplay code and set up scenes like this one is great because, when combined with my live reloading system, I can tweak scripts and refresh the game without having to quit and recompile it. Helps massively with productivity and iteration time.

(Mike Evmm) #5

Very very nice. Definitely will try to use it, even if only in future projects.