Best Flame thrower emitter possible?

(Adam Edney) #1

I’m making a tower defence game and I would like to add a flame thrower emitter. I made basic one to test the effect and it working nicely (par from the fact that it don’t look like a flame thrower)

So my challenge is to make a flame thrower emitter which looks good but draw as little sprites as possible(this to reduce performance needed to run the game because they could be many of these emitters at the same time) , so bigger sprite would be needed compared to small 4 by 4 spites I’m using now.

so if anyone is familiar of good ways to make particle effect look good i would love to know.

(TaylorAnderson) #2

All I know is that particles in Flashpunk are kinda-sorta hellish to use, but they ARE there! Toy around with the Emitter class–it allows you to set a range of different values for particles like motion, color, alpha, all that stuff.

(Zachary Lewis) #3

My initial thoughts:

• Particles should start small and become large.
  • Particles should start bright and become dim (white to blue or yellow to orange, depending on fuel and temperature)
  • Particles should fade out
  • Particles should have random rotation
  • Particles should be asymmetrical
  • Secondary simpler particle system underneath for smoke if flamethrower isn’t well made (homemade device wouldn’t burn off all fuel)

(TaylorAnderson) #4

I don’t think you can do scaling with Flashpunk’s particle system?

(Zachary Lewis) #5

@azrafe7 Did you have a patch to add advanced particle stuff, or was that someone else? I’m not sure if we integrated it or not.

(TaylorAnderson) #6

It might be integrated and I haven’t caught up to the most recent version, I may be in the wrong here…

(azrafe7) #7

Nope. But there’s a discussion here Set the scale of particles like you would color or alpha?

(TaylorAnderson) #8

Haha, yeah that was the discussion I started a little while ago :stuck_out_tongue: