Text effects found in A Thousand Years Of Dreams - there's support in Flash, but is it possible to mix .fla work and .as work in my flashpunk game?

(Helios) #1

WARNING – EMOTIONALLY CHARGED CONTENT: A Thousand Years Of Dreams: Hanna’s Departure

has some basic text manipulation that I want for my game.

Here’s what I would really like: load in a text file that is marked up with, I don’t know, basic html tags. It would get broken up and rendered on screen with the desired effects, and it would get wrapped appropriately.

All of this functionality exists with things like TextEffects for flash, but I think that stuff is designed to be used in official flash authoring environments.

One common recommendation I see on these forums is to take static text and create image image files with them and manipulate them as images. That would be an option, I suppose, although I would have to manually make sure the text was wrapped correctly.

Has anyone tried any kind of interesting text manipulations?

I hope I’m not asking for too much. It seems like text effects and flash games would go together like peanut butter and jelly (or, for you european folks… I don’t know… peanut butter and sprinkles? french fries and mayonnaise?)… The point is, I feel like it’s a match made in heaven.

EDIT: looks like my path lies somewhere in punk.fx – I’m looking into it now.

(Zachary Lewis) #2

You can also use Flash filters on a text object and render it to a bitmap (as explained in this thread).

(Helios) #3

That makes sense. Conserve processing for when the text changes, and preserve the change in a static texture. Now I just need to learn to apply Flash filters on a text object. :confused:

Do you mean using flash filters on a flashpunk text object or on a flash text object?

(Zachary Lewis) #4

Whichever you’d prefer, really. The filters work on any DisplayObject, so slap 'em on and draw them back onto a BitmapData.