IntelliJ IDEA Licenses for FlashPunk Developers

(Zachary Lewis) #1

I’ve gotten in touch with JetBrains, and I secured a license for IntelliJ IDEA for any FlashPunk developers.

I think this is one of the best ActionScript IDEs for Mac (it still doesn’t compete with FlashDevelop on Windows, sadly). You can get a free 30-day trial from their site to see if you like it.

If you’re a developer who has submitted changes or pull-requests to the FlashPunk repository, you’re eligible for one of these licenses. If you’re interested, send me a PM.

(Ultima2876) #2

That’s pretty awesome. I run Parallels just so I can use FlashDevelop, but it sure would be convenient to code natively on my Mac.

(azrafe7) #3

Ha… with that monster I bet you can run VMWare on your Windows box emulating Mac which in turn emulates Windows with Parallels and runs FlashDevelop, all without skipping a heart bit :laughing:.

seriously you should try it! (and report back!!)

(Ultima2876) #4

Hehe, I mainly use that machine for gaming. I do have a Mac partition on it (again, with Parallels) but I tend to do most of my work on my MacBook Air!

… but yes. I’m tempted to give that a go :wink:

(Zachary Lewis) #5

That’s the same with me. My PC is goddamned beastly, but it’s a desktop in my office and not in my living room in front of the TV. The lack of a simple IDE on for Mac is the main reason I’ve not been very productive as of late.

Again, if you’ve contributed to the project, you’re eligible! Just shoot me a PM!

(Ultima2876) #6

I’ve never contributed (as much as I’d love to) because I don’t actually really know how to use git, I’m ashamed to admit… I’m an SVN guy :frowning: But it’s great that there will be guys around who have contributed that can benefit from this!

But yeah, it’s a bit of a pain working so deeply with two OS’s at the same time. There’s a lot of back and forth between (virtual) desktops - I’m getting used to the workflow having been using it for the last 9 months or so, but it’d still be nice to be working natively. That said the mobility of the laptop is far more important to me!

(Alex Larioza) #7

I can’t get over how Apple is always saying “our products are so easy to use!”, but when it comes to developing on their platforms…its a royal pain in the ass. If it takes me 20 minutes to get a simple game working on Android, why does it have to take 2 hours and $100 to test the same game on iOS?! >:(

/rant

(Zachary Lewis) #8

Sounds like I need to do a Git tutorial. :wink:

(Ultima2876) #9

That’d be because Android was made to be an open system, whereas iOS was made to be a closed one. Apple want to enforce a high barrier of entry in order to improve general app standards I’d imagine. It has kind of worked; there is a huge amount of tripe on Google Play. All the same, it’s a bit of a ballache for sure.

That would certainly be appreciated and I imagine would help to encourage more developers to contribute to the FlashPunk repository! I’ve seen this one and started following it a while ago, but I never got all the way through it: http://pcottle.github.io/learnGitBranching/index.html?demo

(Abel Toy) #10

Oh, how cool of them. I’m on Windows, though, and as you said, FlashDevelop it’s better. Is it good for other languages, though? I’m interested :tongue:

(Zachary Lewis) #11

@AbelToy Feel free to try it out and see if you like it.

(Zachary Lewis) #12

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.